Thursday, January 27, 2011

Why the first trimester sucks, sucks, sucks

Let me first preference this post by saying a couple of things:
     1.  I am a crabby pregnant girl who might be sharing TMI
          Read at your own risk!
     2.  I am aware that others have had it worse but I still need to vent.
     3.  It is still all VERY worth it and after my rant I am going to suck it up (well, mostly)

But now on with the whining...
Why oh why does the first trimester come with some of the worst symptoms?
I have had days without an end to my nausea, and hunger makes it worse but then food grosses me out or makes me feel ill as soon as I eat. 

I have to pee ALL the time.  I wake up 3 or 4 times each night just to pee!  I can't even take a weekend nap without having to get up and pee.  My toilet paper bill just doubled.

I was popping out of my normal clothes at 6 weeks thanks to bloat and officially into full-time maternity clothes at 10 weeks.  This means I had to purchase all new work clothes, but I had to do so online because Stillwater doesn't have a single store that sells maternity pants.  Which meant I had to return half of what I ordered because it wasn't the right size and wait for the new package.  I just feel uncomfortable and fat!

And what is with the never ending boob pain?  Tender breasts is the understatement of the century.  It feels like someone is stabbing me in the nipple with even the slightest movement.  OWWWWW!  I realize things are changing in there but can it be done with less pain?  I have to wear a bra 24/7 just to help spare me from any movements!

Holy sense of smell.  I could be an excellent drug sniffer right now.  Sometimes it's not bad, fresh shampoo or perfume.  But more often than not the students I am working with need to do laundry, brush their teeth or take a shower.  I have had to lean away from more than a few students lately because of the stink coming off them!

And don't get me started on the sheer exhaustion lately.  I take two naps on the weekends and I am falling asleep at 9PM on the weekdays.  Even despite the nights I am in bed early, I am dragging to get through the workday.  And no caffeine when your pregnant so coffee can't help me!  I just need a nap!

The mood swings are interesting.  I can tear up at the drop of the hat or yell at Chet without cause.   Lately I have cried watching the news, Ellen, Oprah, and Julie and Julia. 

And the list could go on and on:
Heart burn - Check!
moodiness - Check!
Back pain - Check
Swollen ankles - Check!
Food aversions- Check!
constipation - Check!
Weight gain - Check!
feeling like crud - check! Double Check!

But then I think about 10 fingers and 10 toes.
A baby giggle.
An OSU onesie.
Feeling the first kick.
and just like that it doesn't seem so bad. When I take it all in and remember my child is going to be here in September I start to feel a whole lot better.
But on the bad days when I feel really, really bad I blame Chet. 

4 comments:

  1. It passes! All that sleep means the baby is growing!

    Do what you want, but that whole "no caffeine while pregnant" thing is false...just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom drank coffee through both of her pregnancies and we turned out fine. Of course, ask your doctor but I have always heard it is false also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dr actually told me to drink a pop a day. It helped with my headaches! So not a bad thing :)
    And you'll get used to going to bed at 9. Once baby is here, you'll be excited for bedtime at 9p :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. White Flower Oil (embrocation.50webs.com) was introduced to me by my mother. During one of my headaches, she gave me this tiny bottle of oil and told me to massage it on my temples and forehead. Amazingly, it worked! Somehow the oil penetrates into the affected area and relieves the pain.

    ReplyDelete